4 Roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise
1/2 cup + 1 tbl. olive oil
1 tbl. + 1 tsp. chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
salt and freshly ground pepper
3 tbl. minced onion
1 garlic clove, minced
4 oz. domestic blue cheese
2 tsp. lemon juice
2 heads iceberg lettuce, trimmed of all outer loose leaves
1. Toss tomatoes with 1 tbl. olive oil, 1 tsp. basil, 1 tsp. vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Place the tomatoes cut side up on a cookie sheet. roast in a 400f oven for 20 minutes. Let cool.
2. Combine the minced onion, garlic and the remaining 1 tbl. basil in a medium bowl. Whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup olive oil. Crumble in half of the cheese; whisk in the remaining vinegar and the lemon juice. Season to taste with pepper.
3. Let stand at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes. Taste for tartness (the dressing should be pungent). Add more vinegar or lemon juice, pepper and a pinch of salt, if necessary.
4. Holding 1 head of lettuce firmly at the top, rap the base firmly on the counter to dislodge the triangular core. Remove and discard it. Using your fingers and thumbs, pull the head into 2 large sections. Pull each section into 3 smaller sections. Repeat with the second head of lettuce. You will have 12 slightly triangular-shaped sections. Wrap airtight and chill thoroughly.
5. On a chilled platter, arrange the lettuce sections so they lean against one another in a tepee shape. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
6. Whisk the dressing and drizzle over the lettuce. Crumble the remaining cheese over the lettuce. Garnish the platter with the tomatoes.
(420 cal, 8 g. protein, 9 g. carbo, 41 g. fat (10 g. sat), 21 mg. cholesterol, 412 mg. sodium, 3 g. fiber)
Bubba's Diner, San Anselmo, CA