1. Haloumy, brushed with olive oil, garlic and cumin, then grilled alongside sliced or halved tomatoes. You could also use feta, but as this cheese will melt through the grill, place it on a thick slice of bread first.
2. Sliced, cooked polenta, spread with a little mild Dijon-type mustard, then a slice of Gruyere. Broil until bubbly; garlic and rosemary are optional.
3. Whole-wheat bread spread with a layer of crumbled feta, chevre or blue cheese, scattered with a little chopped garlic, then topped with a layer of grated Jack. Broil until bubbly, then serve on a bed of spring mixed greens and peeled and sliced beets (steamed or baked, coold to room temperature). Dress with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
4. Fresh mozzarella, layered on bread or pizza base with spears of asparagus. Bake until asparagus is crisp and mozzarella melted. SErve dabbed with olive paste and sprinkled with Parmesan and herbs de Provence.
5. Walnut-sourdough bread with any pungent cheese or a selection of autumn grapes.