Macadamia Nut Gazpacho with Pan Roasted Fish
From the TV Show Top Chef
10 cloves garlic
1 cup macadamia nuts
5 slices bread, cubed
1/4 cup of water
1 Tbsp. champagne vinegar
4 Tbsp. olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
One English seedless cucumber
One "Buddha's Hand" lemon, zested
1/4 lb of fresh bass
1. In a sautee pan, bring a light coating of olive oil to roughly 300 degrees. Fry 8 cloves of garlic, taking care not to burn. Remove from heat and set aside.
To make the gazpacho, add macadamia nuts, bread, water, champagne vinegar, 2 cloves of garlic, and 2 Tbsp. of olive oil in a blender. Blend starting at a low speed.
3. Slice cucumber into 1/8" thick plackets, removing the skin, and then dice evenly. Place in a bowl and add extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss.
4. Bring 2 Tbsp. of olive oil to high heat in sautee pan. Lay bass in pan and baste for several minutes with remaining olive oil.
1. Place cucumber salad in the middle.
2. Lay the fish on top, skin-side up.
3. Spoon gazpacho around the fish and cucumber.
4. Place fried garlic slices around and on top of the fish.
5. Sprinkle "buddha's hand" lemon zest around the fish, onto the gazpacho.
6. Finish with toasted macadamia nut with smoked paprika sprinkled on top of the fish.